I often run into people that thank me for my service or buy my coffee. I used to feel awkward about it and feel like it was undeserved. Now, I accept the exchange of energy and enjoy paying it forward. The picture below is one I received this month.
It might mean buying coffee for another person or getting a little treat for a co-worker that’s having a rough day. Either way, I enjoy RAOKs (Rand Acts of Kindness) and I think it’s time for a challenge.
A couple of years ago, I was inspired by how Whippy Cake spends her birthday doing ROAKs. What a beautiful way to spend your birthday! Instead of people buying you drinks or gifts, why not ask them to do a RAOK for someone? Why not? Mercy Corp is an amazing organization that allows you to donate a little or a lot and you can even donate in someone’s name.
I’m challenging everyone to perform one RAOK a day for a week. It’s not hard, I promise. There are a ton of ideas out there on the internet. Here’s some ideas to get you started:
- Donate gently used books to a library.
- Give care packs to the homeless.
- Buy coffee for the person behind you in the drive-thru.
- Leave a kind card with a Caribou (coffee shop) gift card in a shopping basket (This one is fun to be a creeper and watch them open it. lol)
- Write a letter to someone who made a difference in your life.
- Drop off thank-you cupcakes to firefighters, police, teachers etc.
- Show kindness to someone you may not normally connect with. This could be a random co-worker or someone you may have butted heads with in the past.
- Mail free evening of babysitting coupon to a friend who could use it.
- Drop off flowers and cookies to nurses at children’s hospital, nursing home etc.
- Take cards and treats to patients at the previous locations.
- Donate fresh veggies/fruit to a women’s shelter.
- Give a smile to 10 random people, watch how many smile back.
- Ask the cashier how they are doing or what the favorite part of their day has been. You’d be surprised how many cashiers will just start a conversation with you or will be smiling when you leave.
Post your RAOKs on my Dajon Smiles Facebook page or in the comments below! I’ll enter all of your names to win one of my t-shirts (your choice) and a set of my new ’52 Weeks of Gratitude’ cards! If you post or send me a picture, you’ll get two entries! Below is a sample of one of the cards. Some of my pretties will also be in the deck and can be framed as art prints! BONUS!
These cards come with a journal and were designed so you could give one out every week of the year. Who doesn’t love getting mail or a card by surprise? You could write one for a neighbor, family member, stranger, teacher...anyone that you want to express gratitude for! You can then write about the experience in your journal and review at the end of the year. This would be a great activity for a family to do together as well!
I’m excited to see what ideas you come up with. Let's make 'Random Acts of Kindness' not so random! Keep smiling!